Jaipur - The Pink City!
The city that once was the capital of the royalty of the county, is now the capital of the princely state of Rajasthan. Located 260 km. from the capital of the country, New Delhi, this city is full of colour and grandeur. The ancient testimonials in the form of mind blowing monuments such as Hawa Mahal, Amer Fort, City Palace, Albert Hall are amongst the best in the county. The city also popularly known as the Pink City is also very popular for shopping amongst the tourists and locals.
The huge confection is a trompe l'oeil in masonry, for it tends to deceive the eye. In truth, the Hawa Mahal is all façade, an elaborate palace exterior complete with nine hundred and fifty three windows and niches of inconceivable delicacy. However behind this facade are no buildings, for it is a maze of corridors and resting points. The royal women of the zenana used to peep out and see the city, or watched processions passing down below. The clever façade also trapped the breeze, earning it the name "Palace of Winds".
The City Palace
The spectacular City Palace is the residence of the former ruling family of Jaipur. It occupies the center of the city, covering one-seventh of its area and surrounded by a high wall - the Sarahad. The architecture combines elements of Rajput beauty with Mughal spaciousness and English linear planning. The Jaipur royal family resides in what is known as the Peacock Courtyard, although this is no longer open to the public.
Amer, "The Fortress Palace" was one of the most important of all Rajput cities. It was the ancient capital of the Kacchwaha Rajputs from the 12th century until the foundation of Jaipur in the early 18th century. The seventeenth century fort complex at Amer occupies a steep hillside, overlooking the strategic pass that gave entry to the kingdom of the Kacchwaha Maharajas from the Mughal territories to the north.
Albert Hall Museum
It is erected in the middle of Ram Niwas Garden of Jaipur. It was built in 1876 to mark the visit of Prince of Wales to the city. The building is made of sandstone and marble in Indo-saracenic style. It contains a fine collection of sculptures, paintings, decorative art objects, natural history specimens, an Egyptian mummy and a celebrated Persian Garden Carpet.
Literally "instruments for measuring the harmony of the heavens", the Jantar Mantar Observatory was built between 1728-1734. Not content with brass, Jai Singh II wanted things on a grand scale and chose stone with a marble facing on the important planes. Each of the instruments serves a particular function and each gives an accurate reading. It is said that Indian kings viewed themselves as "Universal Emperors wielding the wheel", an emblem that represented the universe. This meant that the correct time had to be fixed for each event. Astrologers were hired to regulate actions within the palace and, by extenuation, within the entire kingdom.